Stress, work, men, dieting...all of these things can lead us ladies right to the kitchen for those comfort foods! But as soon as our snacking is complete, guilt isn't far behind is it? Read on to see how to stop the cycle of stress-->food-->guilt-->stress-->food...well, you get the point.
To curb those calorie packed cravings -
- Avoid triggers: Spend a day or two taking note of where you are and what you're doing when you experience cravings. Take a different route back to your desk instead of walking by the candy bowl for example or avoid that second or third cup of coffee which leaves you craving a sugar boost hours later for energy.
- Stick to a schedule: Now I've mentioned this before, but it's so important that I didn't want to leave it out this time either. Eat every 3-4 hours to avoid mindless grazing or binging, potentially saving HUNDREDS of calories.
- Be realistic: Don't starve yourself of everything that you love! It's okay to indulge (moderately) a few times a week. The extra satisfaction is a treat and you will feel like you are still getting to satisfy your need for your special something.
When a craving slams you in the face -
- Wait: Don't give in right away. Take a few minutes to think it through. Ask yourself, "Do I NEED this or do I WANT this?" Decide if this is what you are choosing as your treat and if the proportion is appropriate.
- Find a substitute: Want some ice cream?? Pick up some greek yogurt with fresh fruit and a drizzle of honey instead. Save those extra calories for another time.
- Portion control: This is key. Whether you want few crackers with your soup or maybe an ice cream sandwich for desert...keep the serving size small! Only have a few crackers or find that 100 calorie desert option.
Nobody is perfect. Keep this in mind please??? Yes we will all slip and yes we will all crave those naughty foods. But it's how we choose to react and how we control the indulgences. Not everything is worth the calories. Try these tips out and watch your healthy diet (and body) progress!
BE HAPPY & LIVE HEALTHY